1. Scientific essence of all religions: Work is our highest Worship! Man can attain God thru’ learning to be committed to duties and to striving to work for good of society. Places of worship and Preachers of all religions must work together and be held responsible and accountable to mentor and inspire citizens to strive for ‘excellence’ and become enlightened citizens. The focus of religions and academia must be to guide and inspire every citizen Godward, thru’ commitment to duties for good of society.
2. Fortunately, thanks to our Vedic wisdom of “Whole Creation as our family”, our uneducated masses have been and still are real Karma Yogi, KYi. It is the entrepreneurs, farmers, business, tradesmen, and the skilled and unskilled Workforce that had made India the sone-ki-chidiya, that it was throughout history. It is this 80% of Result producers who are still carrying on their shoulders, we the ‘educated-naukars’, the parasites, who get our monthly salaries, irrespective of results!
3. Globally, the masses really want that the Teachers, Politicians, Administrators may provide them an opportunity to practice their family vocation, values and religious ideas in a peaceful social and governance milieu and framework. In contrast the modern society is geared to consumerism, greed, money, power, selfishness, etc., not being a KYi!
4. USP of India is that our masses are both lovers of ‘simple working life’ and of ‘God’, and want freedom to choose their own idea of God to be worshipped – be it One God or One infinite, all-pervasive Consciousness, or One God appearing in various forms, deities, incarnations, sages, Rishis, or rivers, trees, flowers, cows – all to be worshipped in our own way. We may visit places of worship or pray in our own hearts, but fulfilment of our duties must remain our highest worship of God in man and in all creation, aka spirit of karma yoga.
5. Modern materialistic and economic ideas, however, don’t allow the masses the freedom to lead a simple life and ‘earn’ and ‘enjoy’ in a way that their work and life may gradually lead them towards Rtm, harmony, love for all. Whereas our ancient idea of Caste provided a social homeostasis, stability, from where the individual could grow while engaged in occupation in accordance with its inherent samskara.
6. When the invaders came, they took over governance but interfered with the social, personal, and religious life and turned out to be very aggressive. They wanted people to renounce their religion, their Gods and adopt Islam. They were constrained to do this because they had no experience of organized caste managed societies where every individual was vocationally and socially responsible and committed to kartavya-palan as a universal worship! For the first time the social and religious inflexibility of Islam faced the very flexible Vedic ideal of One infinite God who could be worshipped in everything and everywhere but inflexibility of the idea of caste!
Despite all the brutal attempts of the invaders, the Hindu society remained Hindu and retained its spiritual strength, though diluted, perhaps due to our innate wisdom gained over centuries, thru’ commitment to kartavya-palan; unlike many other civilizations which succumbed to the onslaught.
7. The fall of the Kshatriya-hood, due to undue Buddhist focus on Ahimsa, had led to the foreign invasion but elements of progress and reform movements are always actively present in India as our spiritual heritage. We believe that caste did provide a stable society provided Kshatriya had the strength and wisdom to create a conducive milieu for performance of our respective duties.
When the British achieved social homeostasis, the essential Hindu started asserting himself, with the Arya samaj and earlier Bhakti movement and Sikhs Gurus. The Hindu had given up his traditional wisdom and vocation to become school-educated and slowly lost connection with Vidya as wisdom and ability to create wealth. Then the educated elite of Calcutta directly saw how an uneducated, illiterate Ramakrishna realized God! And this one single event of one-man achieving direct God realization, the highest goal of all mankind, sent the message across to every Hindu that his own essential religion of Sanatana Dharma was very much valid and alive!
8. From then again started the Hindu resurrection led by the English-speaking Vivekananda who highlighted the clear distinction between the essential Hinduism and the social aspects of Hinduism and brought into focus Karma Yoga as worship of God in man.
The Muslim reign was never on a firm foothold in India since it lacked deep moorings in the society, thanks to caste and masses sticking to their traditional wisdom and vocation; and dacoits and thugs thrived, barring some periods. The British were able to provide protection and once again, wealth generation peaked; but it was geared to only siphon the wealth to Britain and India remained impoverished. Nevertheless, the British era was a period of intense self-introspection by the Hindu society.
Vivekananda has aroused us to our international mission, our obligatory duty to scatter broadcast the message that: Religion everywhere shall exist in its purest form in every person, which is the eternal relationship of the eternal soul to the eternal God. We attain our highest Goal by working selflessly for good of society.
If we allow citizens from a young age to study, question, reflect they will themselves realize that not hatred of others but ability to love more and more till we can work for good of whole Creation is Religion, is being in Rtm, harmony with Creation!
Views expressed above are the author’s own.
END OF ARTICLE